Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Eagles travel plans

This blog has just begun, so I haven't really set things up very well to gather information about aeries other than my own, Toronto 2311. That will change gradually, but I do have some upcoming travel plans that will help.

The Ontario Provincial Aerie and Auxiliary annual convention is set for Sault Ste Marie 3991 June 6 to 8. I'll be spending a longer time there this year, though. I'm travelling with my good friend Spencer Doyle (currently a Provincial Trustee and also a Past Provincial President).

We plan to spend the day/evening at Heyden-Goulais River 4061 June 5; at Sault Ste Marie 3991 Monday June 9; and at Webbwood 4269 Tuesday June 10. These are also the local aerie general meeting nights in all three cases.
Last time Spencer (in the picture) and I were in Webbwood the weather wasn't ideal for enjoying their wonderful deck. It's much busier in summer.
Here's Webbwood's outdoor licensed area. That's Toronto 2311 Past President Maxwell Stewart in the foreground left. As you can see, Webbwood is the kind of place where you can drive an all-terrain vehicle right to the aerie.

The New York State Convention takes place a week after Ontario's, June 19 to 21 in Johnstown NY. I'll be visiting there as well, travelling by rail (VIA/AMTRAK). The train trip takes 9 and a half hours, which would have seemed intolerably slow before I retired (January 31). But it takes two flights to get to Albany NY from here, and with the stopover included that's also nine and a half hours - and flying into Albany leaves me another half-hour drive to Johnstown!

Taking the train means I can walk around (actually back and forth) and even visit the dining room or the bar car if I'm so inclined. It's an all-daylight trip, so I'm also looking forward to some pretty spectacular scenery.

And, of course, there's the 2014 Grand Aerie International Convention July 14 to 17 in Orlando FL.

I'll be posting frequently from the Sault, from Johnstown and from Orlando.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you like to read more on this topic? Have an opinion positive or negative? Something you'd like to see here that you don't see? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to provide what you need.