Thursday, April 10, 2014

First post: What’s this all for?


This is me, though not as grumpy as I look.
On Saturday, June 7, I’ll begin my fourth term as membership chairman for the Ontario Provincial Aerie, Fraternal Order of Eagles. My primary responsibility is to promote membership growth in the five remaining aeries, in Toronto (Aerie 2311), Sault Ste Marie (Aerie 3991), London (Aerie 4060), Heyden-Goulais River (Aerie 4061) and Webbwood (Aerie 4269).

So far, I haven’t done well. I've witnessed charter surrenders of aeries in Espanola, Fort Erie and Sarnia – the three largest properties owned by Eagles in Ontario. At the beginning of my first year as membership chairman in 2010, Ontario had 651 aerie members in the Province. Today we have 595 on the books, but once the now-defunct Sarnia membership is dropped the real number is 530.

My goal is to bring total membership back to what it was when I started. That’s what this blog is for.

I blame much of our membership decline on lack of information. Members didn’t know their annual dues were due until they were dropped from the rolls. Members didn’t know their own aeries were in trouble until it was too late. Provincial officers didn't know local aeries were in trouble until it was too late to intervene. Local aeries didn't appoint their own membership chairmen, or those that did serve didn’t have enough information. Local Secretaries didn’t understand the importance of keeping membership rosters up to date or didn't know how to do that.

At a more basic level, Eagles did not (and do not) know or understand their own rights and obligations as members; the fascinating history of the Fraternal Order of Eagles; or the tremendous opportunities presented by charity fundraising.

So I’m going to start with myself. I’m often overwhelmed with useful information that goes nowhere, as I wait for “the right opportunity” to pass it on, and that opportunity never seems to arise. Instead, I’m going to pass it on as it becomes available. So here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you like to read more on this topic? Have an opinion positive or negative? Something you'd like to see here that you don't see? Leave a comment and I'll do my best to provide what you need.